Published in The Elm | September 6, 2023
The President’s Entrepreneurial Fellowship (PEF) is an exclusive opportunity for students to obtain hands-on training and experience advancing real-world, early-stage business ventures based on discoveries made by UMB faculty.
The interdisciplinary teams engage in a variety of projects to evaluate specific UMB technologies; identify market opportunities, funding sources, and strategic partners; or develop business, legal, and regulatory strategies.
Examples of projects from previous years include:
- Design of a clinical trial of a novel drug for cancer treatment
- Identification of organizations (contract research organizations and contract development and manufacturing organizations) for drug manufacturing and pre-investigational new drug (IND) studies
- Market and intellectual property analyses of the landscape of CAR-NK cells for tumor malignancies
- Investigation of investment opportunities and marketing strategies for a medical device with a niche market
- Use of a combination of wet lab experiments and a machine learning approach for drug repurposing
The fellowship is a paid, part-time, and remote opportunity for students from one of UMB’s schools and the Robert H. Smith School of Business. Fellows receive a $5,000 award.
Learn more or apply at umventures.org/PEF.